Introduction to Favorite Posts
UPME Favorite posts allows users to mark posts/pages/custom posts as favorites and list the favorite posts inside the profile for future references. This is also known as Bookmarking posts.
Configure and Setup Favorite Posts
Favorite posts are disabled by default. You need to enable it from the UPME Settings for favorite posts. Go to UPME Settings -> Modules -> Posts and Pages to configure the settings for favorite posts. Following screenshot previews the default settings screen for posts and pages. You can enable favorite posts using the Favorite Module Status setting. Once enabled, you will get additonal settings as shown in the following screenshot. Please note that settings are filled with sample values for your reference. Let’s go through each setting for favorite posts.
- Enable Favorites On – setting allows you to enable favorites feature on selected posts/custom post types/pages. It’s recommended to only enable it on necessary types to improve performence. All the post types available on your site will be listed for selection. You will get a button to Favorite the post on selected post types.
- Enable Favorites for – setting allows you to define the user roles for favorites. Currently, favorites are only available for logged-in users with selected user roles for this setting.
- Default Featured Image for Favorites – WordPress posts and custom post types contains featured image. If featured image is not defined for a favorited post, image uploaded for this setting will be used as the default.
Using Common Settings for Favorite Posts
You can find the Common Settings section at the end of the page. These setttings are common to Favorite Posts, Recommended Posts and Post Reader. Let’s take a look at each setting in detail.
- Content Before Post Buttons – This setting is used to add some help text about the post buttons bar or instructions on how to favorite, recommend or mark posts as read.
- Enable Post/Page Feature Buttons – This setting deifned where the post feature buttons are displayed. You can choose to display the buttons Before the content, after the content or both before and after content.
- Featured Image is Enabled For – This setting defines whether display the list with featured images or just the title inside the profile tab. If you add Favorites as an option to this setting, Favorite posts list on profile will be displayed with a featured image.
Now you are ready to use Favorite posts for users. You can go to a sample post/page/custom post that you selected to see the Favorite button.
Working with Favorite Posts Features
Once enabled, you will see a Favorite button on the selected post types based on the location you choose. Following screenshot previews the Favorite button on a normal post before the content. You can use other options to check the difference in display.
By default, post is not favorited by the logged-in user and hence the button will be displayed as Favorite. User can click the button to Favorite the post and add to their favorites list. Once clicked, button will be displayed as Favorited, indicating its already a favorite post. User can click the button to Favorite/Remove Favorite depending on the current status. Following screenshot previews how post is displayed after Favorited by the user.
Displaying Favorite Posts in Profile
Users can display their favorite posts inside the profile as a separate tab. Favorite posts tab is not publicly accessible and its displayed once the profile owner is logged into the site. Following screenshot previews how favorite posts are displayed inside the profile.