Introduction to Posts Reader
UPME Posts/Pages Reader allows users to mark posts/pages/custom posts as read/unread and list the posts inside the profile for manage the reading list.
Configure and Setup Posts/Pages Reader
Posts/Pages Reader is disabled by default. You need to enable it from the UPME Settings for Reading List. Go to UPME Settings -> Modules -> Posts and Pages to configure the settings for reader. Following screenshot previews the default settings screen for posts and pages. You can enable posts reader using the Reader Module Status setting. Once enabled, you will get additonal settings as shown in the following screenshot. Please note that settings are filled with sample values for your reference. Let’s go through each setting for posts reader.
- Enable Reader On – setting allows you to enable reader feature on selected posts/custom post types/pages. It’s recommended to only enable it on necessary types to improve performance. All the post types available on your site will be listed for selection. You will get a button to mark posts as read/unread on selected post types.
- Enable Reader for – setting allows you to define the user roles for posts reader. Currently, reader is only available for logged-in users with selected user roles for this setting.
- Default Featured Image for Reader – WordPress posts and custom post types contains featured image. If featured image is not defined for a post, image uploaded for this setting will be used as the default.
Using Common Settings for Posts Reader
You can find the Common Settings section at the end of the page. These settings are common to Favorite Posts, Recommended Posts and Post Reader. Let’s take a look at each setting in detail.
- Content Before Post Buttons – This setting is used to add some help text about the post buttons bar or instructions on how to favorite, recommend or mark posts as read.
- Enable Post/Page Feature Buttons – This setting defines where the post feature buttons are displayed. You can choose to display the buttons Before the content, after the content or both before and after content.
- Featured Image is Enabled For – This setting defines whether display the list with featured images or just the title inside the profile tab. If you add Reader as an option to this setting, Reader posts list on profile will be displayed with a featured image.
Now you are ready to use Posts Reader for users. You can go to a sample post/page/custom post that you selected to see the Unread button.
Working with Posts Reader
Once enabled, you will see a Unread button on the selected post types based on the location you choose. Following screenshot previews the Unread button on a normal post before the content. You can use other options to check the difference in display.
By default, post is not read by the logged-in user and hence the button will be displayed as Unread. User can click the button to mark the post as read and add to their reader list. Once clicked, button will be displayed as Read, indicating its read. User can click the button to Read/Unread depending on the current status. Following screenshot previews how post is displayed after Read by the user.
Displaying Posts Reader in Profile
Users can display their posts reader inside the profile as a separate tab. Post reader tab is not publicly accessible and its displayed once the profile owner is logged into the site. Following screenshot previews how post reader displayed inside the profile.